It’s that time of year again when the weather is changing and spring is in the air which naturally calls for a good Spring Cleaning.While we spruce up our homes we should take into consideration our pets. One of the best ways to minimize a poisoning is Prevention. Use this list as a guide to avoid a poisoning in your home.
1.Lawn Chemicals – Such as weed killers and insecticides could have an immediate effect or take years to surface and can be extremely harmful to your pet. Take the proper steps to prevent a pet from coming in contact with these chemicals by spraying your yard in the morning or late at night to give the chemicals enough time to dry. Make sure to read all the warning labels and precautions before applying to your property.
2.Cleaning Supplies– This is probably one of the most common ways pets can be poisoned. It’s very easy to leave a mop bucket unattended or a toilet seat up while cleaning. We have to be diligent because a bucket of water or open toilet seat is an invitation to drink. Take precautions like maybe doing away with a bucket and filling up your sink or using a steam mop.
3.Rodenticides – Mouse baits a extremely dangerous for cats and dogs because they can induce internal bleeding. Prevention of Mice is your best defense; some ways to prevent mice in the home is Proper Sanitation and sealing up pet food in air tight canisters! Plug small holes with steel wool and larger holes with a ¼ inch or smaller mesh hardware cloth.
4.Table Food – I know we are all responsible for feeding our pets table food from time to time. But it is important to understand that some human food can be extremely piousness to cats and dogs. Some examples of the common No No’s are Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Grapes, Raisins, and Avocados. I implore you if you have any apprehensions to please consult your vet prior to feeding your dog something questionable. It’s also key to not feed them off your plate but to place the scraps in their food bowl.
5.Chewing Gum, Toothpaste, & Kitchen Sweeteners – All these products have one common dominator “Xylitol”. This chemical is extremely toxic, if consumed dogs will experience a dangerous crash in blood pressure. It was also linked to seizures and liver failure in dogs.
6.Pills – Make sure to keep household medicines off shelves where you’re pet can reach such as NSAIDs like aspirin and ibuprofen, antidepressants, acetaminophohen, cancer drugs, decongestants and other drugs. Dogs in particular can chew through childproof bottles leaving whatever the contents exposed for ingestion.
7.Using wrong Flea & Tick Products – This happens by using the wrong topical treatment for a different species.For example “Permethrin” which is common insecticide used on dogs is lethal to cats.
In the end, our pets are important to us and taking small steps to ensure their safety should be a top priority. If you have any questions about your pets safety please reference the ASPCA Poison Control Center Website or if you feel that your pet may have been poisoned please contact our office immediately at (619) 463-9861.
By: Juliana Wilcox, DVM